Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Back in Bizness

So. After quite the hiatus from my blog, I am back. My dear little macbook was having some issues, but thanks to the fantabulous geniuses at the genius bar at the mac store, my baby is even better than new. Things have been pretty good during my silence. A few eventful events occured, such as my 20th birthday. It was pretty fun, thanks to my awesome boyfriend Jake who made it all possible. I originally had expressed a wish to spend my DOB at the beach, and all week long I anticipated that lovely day off which I would spend in the sun. Unfortunately, I think I looked forward to it so much that even the clouds heard my inner monologue and decided to rain, just for my birthday, just out of spite. Seriously, my birthday is the one and only day that it has actually rained during my entire life here in California. But, all was not lost. Jake and I went to see the much anticipated Indiana Jones movie, and I must say, despite what everyone else says, I really enjoyed it. Then, Jake took me out to Katsuya on Hollywood and Highland, quite the trendy sushi joint. And, to top it all off, he got me a surfboard for my bday! Now, if I could just get myself to the beach to ride it...that would be ideal.

I also had my first gig, ever. Well, it wasn't much, i'll admit, just a background role on Cold Case. But hey, it was fun anyway! Nothing like getting your hair and makeup done, then waiting around forever, chatting up your fellow extras, all while eating all the goodies from the very well stocked craft services. Actually, that day was a bit commical for me as they asked for all the girls to have their hair set and dried in sponge rollers. Just to be safe, I put mine in first thing in the morning and wore them the whole day up until the shoot. To hide the curlers, I wrapped my head in this scarf. Needless to say, as I strolled the well stocked aisles of Costco, I got some double takes.



It was only a 4 hour shoot, but I think I'll definitely be in the shot. So watch for me in the flashback scene of the season premiere of Cold Case this fall...or whenever its premiering... I'll definitely look that up and get back to you on the date of that.

Downside of the shoot: I lost my favorite yellow patent leather ballet flats. The world isn't quite the same without them.

Today was pretty wonderful. I had a day off, and a much needed day off it was too. I went to Kickboxing class, went shopping at forever 21, and came home and cleaned in preparation of showing the vacant room to a potential roommate. Well, the potential roommate was a no show, so I decided to take my slightly unride-able bike to this great placed called the bicycle kitchen.

They're a non-profit, volunteer run shop at Helliotrope and Melrose who are there to teach you how to fix your bike, among other bike related things. Basically, they just want people to ride their bikes more, and drive less. And with gas prices at around 4.50 a gallon, I'm all for that too. Everyone was really nice and helpful. The idea of the place is that you fix your bike through their teaching. Well, I didn't really fix much. The guy who helped me did most the work, but props to him for doing it one handed: he was eating an icecream cone of gelato from the ice cream shop next door. pretty impressive. His gelato looked so good in fact, that I decided to have gelato for dinner, and what a good decision that was. (I pretty much can't resist gelato, its a fact.) Its this great place called "Scoops." It doesn't look like much, but damn is it ever good! and their flavor choices are so original...they had banana mint, chocolate cinnamon, pistachio and dates....i went with a scoop of raisins and marsala wine and brown bread, which was kinda brown sugary with crunchyness in it.

After shoving my bike into the trunk of my Jetta the best I could (it didn't quite fit, I had to tie it down and let the back tire stick out of the trunk a bit), I got home, hopped on my bike, and headed off. I rode around for about 2 hours, in which time I went to the 99 cent store (talk about a cheapo night) and long's drugs. As I was searching for a place to lock my bike to at the drugstore, some punk teenage boys pulled up and asked me if I was russian. I said not a bit. Then they asked if I was italian, to which i replied, not very much. Hispanic? I'm portuguese I said. The dude behind the passenger seat asked me to marry him. I laughed and said I was taken. He threw a mini temper tantrum and stepped on the gas.

LA. What a strange town it is, indeed.

No comments: